When I lived in Portland, there was a great cupcake truck that made an awesome strawberry frosting. It was the first time I’d ever had a frosting that tasted like fruit — it even had strawberry seeds in it!
I decided to attempt my own version of this frosting atop some chocolate cupcakes. Confession time: the cupcakes are really just a frosting delivery system so I cheated and turned to my old friend Betty (Crocker). If you want a really sinful chocolate cake that isn’t totally from a box, come back next week.
Chocolate cake mix of your choice
1 cup strawberries, hulled
1 cup milk (I used 2%)
5 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 blocks butter (room temperature)
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- Bake cake according to package instructions.
- Puree strawberries in a blender until smooth. In a small saucepan, heat until boiling, then reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes or until reduced halfway.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk and flour on medium heat, until it becomes thick and doughy. This takes roughly five to seven minutes from the moment you turn on your burner. Stir the entire time.
- Remove flour mixture from heat and transfer to a bowl. Stir to combine. Cool completely.
- Using a hand blender or stand mixer, blend butter and sugar on medium for three minutes. Add the milk and flour mixture; blend on low for one minute and on medium-high for two minutes. Slowly add strawberry puree one tablespoon at a time.
- Frost cupcakes. Devour!