Last week, I wrote about how hard it is to shop for guys on Valentine’s Day and came up with five man-approved gift ideas. Desserts are somewhat easier — my guy is just as happy with a strawberry shortcake cupcake as I am — but I wanted to come up with something more masculine.
While shopping for Guinness, we spotted Young’s Double Chocolate Stout and my wheels started turning. I went home and searched “beer desserts” which brought me to this recipe from The Beeroness. After making a few miniscule adjustments, I ended up with these delightful chocolate stout cream puffs.
Unfortunately, there is no manly substitute for the name cream puffs. But real men wear pink and eat cream puffs. Heart shaped ones!
1 box (2 sheets) puff pastry, thawed
1 cup whipping cream or heavy cream
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons chocolate stout
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chocolate stout
2 tablespoons whipping cream or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400
- Unroll the puff pastry and use a 2 to 3 inch cookie cutter to make cut outs. I used a heart shaped one because it’s Valentine’s Day and, embarrassingly, I don’t have any other shapes. But the Beeroness used a 2.5 inch biscuit cutter. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix heavy cream, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and stout with a hand mixer until it reaches your desired consistency — thick enough so that it holds together without running.
- Split the puff pastries in half and spoon the whipped cream onto one half, covering with the other half.
- Now it’s time to make the ganache topping! Microwave the stout and cream on high for 1 to 1.5 minutes. It should be steaming and hot. Pour the mixture over the chocolate chips and stir until smooth.
- Drizzle the ganache over the cream puffs.
This is my favorite dessert to date — the combination of the stout and the chocolate is divine. And I’m not even much of a beer drinker! And as a bonus, these babies are really easy to make. From start to finish, they were done in less than half an hour.
What sweet thing are you indulging in this week?