Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, which is the perfect excuse to indulge in red velvet everything. Would you believe that I’d never even heard of whoopie pies until I moved to New England? I remember seeing them in a cafe while on a road trip to Vermont and wanting one immediately. These whoopie pies use a boxed mix as a base, with a gooey marshmallow filling in the center. They’re simple, quick, and completely indulgent.
- 1 Boxed cake mix of your choosing (I love the versatility!)
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup vegetable oil
- 35 Big marshmallows
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 Cup white chocolate chips
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Grease your whoopie pie pans, if you have them. Otherwise, line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. Drop 2 tablespoons into each whoopie pie pan section or simply onto the parchment paper. If using regular baking sheets, make sure that the drops are at least a couple of inches apart, as they’ll spread while baking. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
4. On medium heat, melt butter and marshmallows, mixing constantly. Once the mixture is smooth, remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Allow to cool completely.
5. Using a greased spoon, scoop the filling onto one half of a whoopie pie. Top with another half.
There you go! Simple whoopie pies. If you’re someone who likes a cream cheese frosting instead, check out this awesome recipe.
Do you have a whoopie pie filling you like? Please share! I’m always looking for new ways to fill up these bad boys.
I’m still at Alt Summit today, but I’ll be back next week to share some of the fun I had in Salt Lake City. Fashion, brain food, and friendship. Stay tuned!